Transferring into MVCC

Applicants transferring to MVCC from other regionally accredited institutions or providing documentation of appropriate instruction may receive whole or partial credit for college courses completed. Acceptance of transfer credits is the prerogative of the appropriate academic department designee. Transfer students are responsible for sending an official academic transcript from each college where credit is being requested. MVCC will accept a minimum grade equivalent to 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.

Transfers should send an official transcript for each college from which transfer credit is being requested. If no transfer credit is being requested and/or transcripts are not available, you still must report yourself as a transfer for Financial Aid purposes.

Note: Applicants who have earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution need not supply a copy of their high school transcript, diploma, or GED. However, on your application, please list your high school's name, address, and graduation date, or GED and completion date. 

If you are applying for health care programs, we ask that you do submit your high school transcript and any college transcripts that may be used to see if you meet initial program requirements.

All official documents should be sent to the Admissions Office on the Utica Campus:

Admissions Office
Mohawk Valley Community College
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, N.Y. 13501

Electronic Submission

If the institution from which you are requesting your transcript only sends the transcripts via electronic format, please use as the receiving address. 

Matriculated students may be permitted to transfer credit back from other colleges to complete an MVCC degree provided prior written approval is obtained from their academic department head. A minimum 25 percent of required program credits must be completed at MVCC.

Students who need to make up deficiencies in quality point requirements and lack no more than two courses, with a maximum of nine credit hours, may complete a degree by taking or repeating courses at another college. In these cases, grades and quality points may be transferred with prior written approval of the Academic School dean.

Applicants seeking transfer credit for academic work completed in a foreign educational system should contact the International Student Advisor for direction.

Transfer Equivalency Site

MVCC's Transfer Equivalency Site (TES) is intended as a guide for our prospective students and is continually updated with new equivalencies as they are determined.

The information on our TES site is provided as a guide to how previous college credit work may transfer to MVCC. Please note: There may be some programmatic variations in how some transfer credit is applied. Final determination of transfer credit acceptance is ultimately made by the associate dean of your academic department. You must provide official transcripts of all completed coursework in order for transfer credit to be applied.

If you have any additional questions, please email

Note: You must have a "C" or better in a course for it to be considered for transfer.

SUNY Transfer Appeal Process

If you do not agree with MVCC's decision on the granting or placement of credit that you earned at a prior SUNY institution, you have the right to submit an appeal to the Vice President for Learning and Academic Affairs in PH395.

While each campus has a slightly different transfer appeal process, you should be prepared to provide reasonable material to support your case, such as the course description or syllabus in question. The campus transfer representative will explain the process to you and let you know exactly what materials are needed.

Once all of the required information is received, the expectation is that the transfer appeal representative will provide you with a written response within 15 business days. If the decision finds merit to change the course to meet a major requirement, the representative will notify you, the chairperson and/or program coordinator, and will see that the change is made to your student record.

If the decision is unchanged, or you have not received a response in 15 business days, you may take your appeal to the SUNY System Provost by submitting the Student Transfer Appeal Form along with requested materials.

The SUNY Provost will respond to your appeal within five business days from receipt of the completed appeal application. If the decision finds merit to change the course to meet a major requirement, the receiving institution will be notified to take appropriate action.