MVCC Science and Technology Entry Program (STEP) is jointly sponsored by the college and the New York State Education Department. STEP serves to encourage qualified high school students to consider careers in STEM fields and licensed professions. Programming includes peer mentoring, tutoring, standardized test preparation, college visits, workshops and educational field trips. These activities are centered on fostering student success in high school and beyond.
STEP is a New York State Department of Education grant-funded enrichment initiative designed:
- to foster academic excellence
- to nurture students' preparation for college
- to cultivate student independence
- to enhance students' college experience
- to increase awareness and opportunities for historically underrepresented, economically disadvantaged youth in math, science, technology, and health related fields
- for those seeking professional licensure
- for those in pre-professional or professional undergraduate study
STEP students will:
- be open to new experiences in regard to their future opportunities in college and in math, science, health, technology and in licensed professions.
- participate in internships, job shadowing, weekly tutorial services, research projects for poster presentations, monthly professional speaker series, college visits, academic/personal/career advisement, counseling, and workshops and seminars. Eligible participants must be members of historically underrepresented populations: African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Alaskan or economically disadvantaged; a U.S. citizen or permanent New York State resident; maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
STEP offers many programs and services that students can benefit from:
Advisement and Mentoring
Students have opportunity to seek advisement and guidance in the following areas:
- academic success and struggles
- career planning
- personal advice
- financial consultation
- personal assessment
- paying for college
- resources for financial aid
- career assessment
- goal setting
- personal growth
- academic advising for school and college courses
Tutorial Assistance and Mentoring
Assistance in academic studies such as Biology, Chemistry, Algebra, Geometry, US History, English, and Global Studies, Individual and group tutoring sessions with experienced and exceptional instructors both at the high school and college levels.
- Increased confidence in academic studies and in study skills
- Preparation for Regents exams
- Preparation for SAT and ACT
- Increased awareness of college class and lab facilities on campus
- Increased exposure to the college community and resources
- resume writing and interview strategies
- stress and time management
- college and career exploration
- strategic learning
- personal assessment
- college application
- internship search
- technology and computers
The STEP Professional Speaker Series introduces students to outstanding community
leaders and experts in the math, health, science, and technology fields.
Other events include: volunteer food drives, college visits, research projects.
- Increased awareness in STEM fields and professions
- College and Career Preparation
- Increased involvement in personal and future goals
- Opportunity to learn different skills applicable to college and future career
Internship and Job Shadowing
Students will be able to experience an opportunity to shadow a professional in the STEM, health, or licensed proffesion fields as well as participate in an internship.
- Opportunity for a hands-on experience in a professional environment
- Opportunity to experience a career in a specified field of study
- Increased awareness of job opportunities
- Meet professionals and experts in a specified field
- Connect with people and members in the community